Rag or Tag
- Rag or Tag target text*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will play a game called Rag or Tag as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with tag, such as snag, tag, bag, and flag.
Rag or Tag game
- Have the children sit in a circle on the floor in an open space and choose one child to be "it" for the Rag or Tag game.
- Point out that rag and tag rhyme.
- Let the child who is "it" walk around the circle and wag the rag while touching the other children on the shoulder with the rag and saying "Rag" or "Tag."
- If the child who is "it" says "Rag," he or she will continue on to the next child.
- If the child who is "it" says "Tag," he or she drops the rag behind the child who was tagged.
- Have the tagged child snag (pick up) the rag and chase the child who is “it" around the circle, trying to tag him or her with the rag before he or she sits down in the open seat.
- Let the child with the rag be "it" and repeat the game.
- Encourage the children to use rhyming words by saying phrases such as "Who do you think you will tag with the rag? Wag the rag! Snag the rag! You got the rag, now go tag!"
- Help the children recognize the words that rhyme tag (support as needed).
Read a rhyming text to the children
- Display the Rag or Tag target text (see below) large enough for the children to see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence.
- Help the children recognize words in the text that rhyme with tag as you read it together one more time.
Produce words that rhyme with tag
- Remind the children of the words they played with (e.g., wag, snag, tag).
- Ask each child to think of and share a word that rhymes with tag (support as needed).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., "rag, tag")
- Ask the children to raise their rag if the words rhyme and hide the rag if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words (e.g., tag, nag; rock, sag; lag, wag; flag, flower; rag, sag).
SEEL Target Texts
Rag or Tag
Wag, wag, wag!
Drag the rag,
Drag, drag, drag!
Wag and drag the rag.
Snag, snag, snag!
Tag a kid's rag,
Tag, tag, tag!
Snag a rag and tag.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with tag.
- Two rags
Activity: Snag a Rag Game
- Play a game of Snag a Tag (a game for two or more players).
- One person will be the tagger who will try to snag rags from the other player(s).
- The other player(s) will tuck a rag in their waistband(s).
- Have the player(s) who aren't the tagger chant, "Snag the rag!" as they run.
- When the tagger snags a rag, he or she will shout, "Tag! I have the rag!" and the other person has to say a word that ends with -ag.
- Once the tagger has snagged a certain number of rags, choose another player to be the tagger.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1: Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic feature of print.
Rag or Tag