The purpose of the PETE Experiential Learning Award is twofold: 1) to support undergraduate students who wish to participate in ongoing research under the direction of one or more of the PETE faculty with the intended outcome of a publishable scholarly paper with students as co-authors, and 2) to provide undergraduate students with a non-research experiential learning opportunity.
Number and amount of awards:
- Six Awards will be given per calendar year.
- $1,000 each.
When will it be awarded:
- Applications are due on Dec 1st each year (see application on next page).
- Six awards will be given annually (preference is given to new applicants).
- Awardees are eligible to apply for a second year if there are any award funds available.
- Students will begin working on projects the Winter Semester of the year they are awarded.
- Awards will be announced Dec 20th of each year .
- Priority will be given to repeat applicants with exemplary performance in year 1 (if applicable).
- Awardees will work on a research team of three or more members including the faculty mentor.
- Team members will be required to contribute fully to the research process and meet all agreed upon deadlines.
- Teams will work under the direction of one or more PETE faculty.
- Awardees are expected to work 70 hours ($14.29 an hour) total combining fall and winter semesters of the academic year.
- Duties may include but are not limited to the following activities:
- Meeting weekly with team and faculty member(s)
- Literature search, review, and synthesis (library skills required)
- Preparing of briefs specific to pertinent topics
- Visiting research sites (e.g., schools) to prepare for data collection
- Data collection, input, analysis, interpretation
- Manuscript preparation, submission, revision, and publication (students will become co-authors)
Students are required to prepare a summary of their experiences that will be sent to the Mary Lou Fulton Foundation who sponsors these awards.
You can apply for this scholarship here: https://byu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3eGpvLlyYUvGrci