Exceptions to requirements will be considered on an individual basis and must be requested in writing prior to the application deadline. Any requests for exceptions should be addressed to the Teacher Education graduate coordinator.
- 3.0 total GPA
- Accredited bachelor’s degree in area of early childhood, elementary or secondary education, or related field
- One year of teaching practice, preferred
- Complete the application for admission to graduate study through BYU Graduate Studies.
- Obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement. Agree to abide by the Honor Code and receive an ecclesiastical endorsement. All applicants should start the process early to obtain an endorsement. All applicants need an endorsement interview with a bishop and a stake president (or local religious leader and BYU chaplain) before your application can be fully considered. Current or continuing BYU students applying for graduate school must also obtain a new endorsement. Start this process at endorse.byu.edu.
- Submit your unofficial transcript. See instructions on the Graduate Studies website for how to upload your transcript to your application. Include transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Request three letters of recommendation. Three letters of recommendation from academic sources are required on the online application. If you have teaching experience, at least one of these should be from a member of school administration, e.g., principal or district representative. You will need the recommenders' names and email addresses.
- A well-written statement of intent. Please carefully review the guidelines provided for instructions on what to include in this statement. (Statement of Intent)
- Submit a résumé. Applicants must include a current résumé with the application.
- If you wish to submit GRE scores in addition to the application (although not required), use BYU’s institution code (-4019) at the time of the test.
- Scheduled interview (upon review of your application, at the discretion of the MSE graduate committee, you may be contacted for a panel interview, either on site or video conference).
Submit your application no later than 9:59 p.m. mountain standard time by February 1. Students are admitted every even-numbered year beginning in the summer term. All application materials must be submitted online to the Graduate Studies office, which will forward items required by the department. Applicants may check the status of their application at any time.
Student Visa Requirements
- All international students are welcome to apply.
- International students who need a student visa must be full-time students throughout the program, which requires taking at least 9 credits in each of the Fall and Winter semesters. Because the MA in the Teacher Education program only offers 6 credits in Fall and Winter, student visa holders will need to take 3 extra credits from other departments in Fall and Winter in order to meet the credit requirements for a student visa. It is recommended that students choose these extra credits in consultation with their faculty advisor.
- All international students need to become familiar with the admissions requirements for international students. Please see the university guidelines for international applicants at https://enrollment.byu.edu/admissions/international and graduate school information for international students at https://gradstudies.byu.edu/page/international-students.
Questions concerning the requirements and procedures for program application and admission should be directed to the Graduate Program Manager:
Telephone: (801) 422-2089