BYU China Conference
Speakers • Networking • Mentoring Sessions • Luncheon
February 12, 2022, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Location: BYU Tanner Building 1st Floor Atrium
Daniel Hemmert & Miles Hansen
Lunch + Networking
1st Breakout Session
2nd Breakout Session
This Year's Speakers
Executive Director Daniel Hemmert of the Utah Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity
- Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity Executive Director
- Former Majority Whip of the Utah State Senate
Professor Tao Wen Le of Weber State University
- One of the first Chinese students to attend BYU.
- Provincial representative in the U.S. for Liaoning Province 2003-2017.
Timothy P. Stratford of Covington & Burling LLP
- Managing partner in Beijing law firm.
- Former U.S. Trade Representative
Sean Stein of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
- Chairman of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.
- Former Consul General of the United States in Shanghai.
Assistant Dean Michael Leonard of the David O. McKay School of Education at BYU
- Leads the external relations team with responsibilities for outreach initiatives including donor, alumni, and public relations, recruitment, mentoring, and data/website development
- Former Executive Director for the nonprofit Launching Leaders Worldwide
President & CEO Miles Hansen of the World Trade Center Utah
- Promoting prosperity across the state by attracting investment and increasing exports
- Former Director for Gulf Affairs at the National Security Council in the White House
Professor Peter Chan of Brigham Young University
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Instructional Psychology & Technology
- Coordinator of China Projects at the BYU McKay School of Education
Breakout Session Speakers
- First American to work for the Chinese Government in Zhejiang province.
- CEO of a global firm in Salt Lake City.
- Lawyer and founder of women's organization in China.
- Mother of 5 children, many raised and born in China.
- Alibaba Group, Director of International Government Relations.
- Previously led government affairs function for Brocade Communications Systems.
- Executive Director/Co-founder of Economic Bridge International, a Salt Lake City & Shanghai-based strategic advisory/consulting firm.
- Former COO for Chinese language learning company Mandarin Matrix.