- Begin or continue discussions with your principal about your interests in administration.
- Look for and act on leadership opportunities at your school.
- Plan now to study for and take one of the graduate examinations (GRE, MAT, GMAT, or LSAT) at least two months before the application deadline.
- Attend one of the School Leadership Program Information Meetings in the fall.
- Download the PowerPoint slides from the Information Meeting presentation.
- Call or email us if you have questions at (801) 422-4291 or email@example.com, respectively.
The School Leadership Program has both a full-time track (LPP) and a part-time track (ExSL). Both tracks admit 15 students every year, and you may apply to either one or both. You can also apply to the Licensure Only (LO) track, which admits 10 students annually. See the Program Tracks page for more information and videos of alumni describing each track.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all application materials are submitted by the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The application deadline for both tracks of the School Leadership Program is January 15.
Applicants for the LPP and ExSL MEd Tracks
- Complete the BYU Graduate Studies Application.
- Complete the Ecclesiastical Endorsement for Graduate Admission—BYU's Honor Code commitment and confidential report from an ecclesiastical leader.
- Provide your graduate exam score (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT). Complete exams in sufficient time to submit scores to BYU before the application deadline.
- Submit copies of transcripts from all institutions attended (GPA must be above 3.0 on the 4.0 scale).
- Submit three letters of recommendation electronically (paper copies are not processed). Obtain letters from these sources:
- One from an individual of your choice
- One from your current department chair or team leader
- One from your current principal or school leader
- Provide your TOEFL score (if necessary). A score of at least 580 on the paper-based test or 85 on the Internet-based test (iBT) or an equivalent is required for students who speak English as a second language.
- In addition to the information required by Grad Studies, there will be a page whereon you will be asked to provide a Teaching Experience Profile (instructions are provided). You will also be required to upload a copy of your Utah State Level 2 Teaching License.
Applicants for the LO Track
- Those interested in applying for the LO track are not required to fill out a Grad Studies application.
- Complete BYU’s Post Baccalaureate Application.
- Complete the Ecclesiastical Endorsement for Admission—BYU's Honor Code commitment and confidential report from an ecclesiastical leader.
- Complete the EDLF LO Application.
- No graduate exam score is required, however, transcripts of your Master’s program(s) will be required.
Qualified applicants will be invited to an on-campus screening that involves interviews and group interactions. This screening will also give applicants opportunities to meet faculty and school administrators.
Campus screening will occur shortly after January 15.
Admission Notification: Applicants will be notified of admission decisions within two weeks of the campus screening, and they are expected to notify the program of their acceptance (or not) in a timely manner. Those who are applying to both tracks may wait for the admission decision from both tracks before finalizing their acceptance. Applicants may be placed on a waiting list pending an open slot.
Program Orientation: Program orientation will be held in early April prior to starting the program. Dates for the orientation will be included in the admission notification letter.
Please refer to the financial aid page.
Questions concerning the requirements and procedures for program application and admission should be directed to one of the following:
- David Boren, director of the School Leadership Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EdLF graduate secretary: (801) 422-4291
Department of Educational Leadership and Foundations (EdLF)
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
Telephone: (801) 422-4291
Fax: (801) 422-0196