- Begin or continue discussions with your principal about your interests in administration.
- Look for and act on leadership opportunities at your school.
- Plan now to study for and take one of the graduate examinations (GRE, MAT, GMAT, or LSAT) at least two months before the application deadline.
- Attend one of the School Leadership Program Information Meetings in the fall.
- Download the PowerPoint slides from the Information Meeting presentation.
- Call or email us if you have questions at (801) 422-4291 or email@example.com, respectively.
The School Leadership Program has both a full-time track (LPP) and a part-time track (ExSL). Both tracks admit 15 students every year, and you may apply to either one or both. You can also apply to the Licensure Only (LO) track, which admits 10 students annually. See the Program Tracks page for more information and videos of alumni describing each track.
Complete applications for both BYU Graduate Studies and the School Leadership Program.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all application materials are received by the Educational Leadership and Foundations Department prior to the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The application deadline for both tracks of the School Leadership Program is January 15, 2018.
Step 1: Complete the BYU Graduate Studies Application
- Go to the BYU Graduate Studies Application.
- Complete the Ecclesiastical Endorsement for Graduate Admission—BYU's Honor Code commitment and confidential report from ecclesiastical leader.
- Provide your graduate exam score (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT). Complete exams in sufficient time to submit scores to BYU before the application deadline.
- Submit one official transcript from all institutions attended (GPA must be above 3.0 on the 4.0 scale).
- Submit three letters of recommendation electronically (paper copies are not processed). Obtain letters from these sources:
- One from an individual of your choice
- One from your current department chair or team leader
- One from your current principal or school leader
- Provide your TOEFL score (if necessary). A score of at least 580 on the paper-based test or 85 on the Internet-based test (iBT) or an equivalent is required for students who speak English as a second language.
Step 2: Complete School Leadership Program Application
- Create a BYU Net ID.
- If you already have a BYU Net ID, complete the online School Leadership Application.
- If you already have a BYU Net ID but can't remember it, please call our IT support team at (801) 422-4000.
- Complete the online School Leadership Application.
- Before beginning the application, there is a simple five-step registration process in which you will be asked to provide your BYU Net ID (or create one should you not have one). After the registration, choose the School Leadership Program application from the drop-down menu and begin your application process.
- Upload a PDF of a State of Utah Level II License (or equivalent).
- More information is available in the application. Applicants are responsible for obtaining alternate evidence of Level II License equivalency from their district (for example, counselors) or from the state (for example, out-of-state applicants).
If you are having problems completing the mYlink application, please fill out our temporary workaround application that contains the same information as the mYlink application.
Applying to Multiple Tracks
You may choose to apply to LPP Track (full-time), ExSL Track (part-time), or LO Track (Licensure Only). You may also be considered for any combination of those three tracks, including all three.
You may change your track choice at any time (prior to the January 15 application deadline) by calling the EdLF secretaries at (801) 422-4291.
Please note that admissions decisions for each track are made independently and that an application for one track does not transfer to another without your application to that particular track.
Applicants who aren't admitted in a given year are welcome to reapply in a subsequent year.
If you are reapplying, please resubmit your application materials in our new online application process. While you may choose to resubmit your letters of recommendation, letter of intent, and résumé from your previous application, we encourage you to ensure that your materials are current.
Step 3: Await Notification
Qualified applicants will be invited to an on-campus screening that involves interviews and group interactions. This screening will also give applicants opportunities to meet faculty and school administrators.
Campus screening will occur shortly after January 15.
Admission Notification: Applicants will be notified of admission decisions within two weeks of the campus screening, and they are expected to notify the program of their acceptance (or not) in a timely manner. Those who are applying to both tracks may wait for the admission decision from both tracks before finalizing their acceptance. Applicants may be placed on a waiting list pending an open slot.
Program Orientation: Program orientation will be held in early April prior to starting the program. Dates the orientation will be included in the admission notification letter.
Please refer to the financial aid page.
Additional information may be found in the Student Program Handbook.
Questions concerning the requirements and procedures for program application and admission should be directed to one of the following:
- David Boren, director of the School Leadership Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EdLF graduate secretary: (801) 422-4291
Department of Educational Leadership and Foundations (EdLF)
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
Telephone: (801) 422-4291
Fax: (801) 422-0196