Utah Teacher Licensure
Gaining Utah Licensure Through BYU
How Gaining Utah Licensure Through BYU Works:
Once the student's bachelor's degree has been posted by the university (about 3–4 weeks after graduation) and his/her licensure requirements are fulfilled, the Education Advisement Center (350 MCKB) will recommend the student for licensure in the State of Utah.
The Education Advisement Center will then email the student, providing instructions that must be followed to complete the licensure process with the Utah State Office of Education (USOE).
The teaching license will be issued to the student by USOE upon completion of the process and payment of fees.
BYU Utah Licensure Requirements
Contact the Education Advisement Center if you have any questions regarding these requirements using our site’s contact info.
- Complete a teaching program
- Pass approved PRAXIS II exam(s)
- Pass the OPI (if applicable)
- Fingerprint Background Clearance
- Complete all graduation requirements
- Complete State of Utah licensing requirements
Commonly Asked Questions
- Early Childhood Education: Kindergarten–3rd
- Elementary Education: Kindergarten–6th
- Secondary Education: 6th–12th or Kindergarten–12th
- Special Education: Kindergarten–12th
- Administrative/Supervisory (MEd): Kindergarten–12th
- Communication Disorders (MS): Kindergarten–12th
- School Psychology (EdS): Kindergarten–12th
- School Social Work (MS): Kindergarten–12th
Individuals wishing to obtain a teaching license after receiving a bachelor's degree are encouraged to explore post baccalaureate options by:
- The USBE offers an Associate Educator License (AEL). This is an opportunity for someone interested in becoming a teacher who did not complete a teacher education program in college. To qualify for an AEL, a candidate must have a bachelor’s degree, complete the content knowledge PRAXIS II exam in the content area desired, and pass a background check. More information can be found at the following link: https://www.schools.utah.gov/licensing/apply?mid=5257&tid=1
Contacting one of the following institutions offering teacher licensure programs:
Southern Utah University (SUU)
- 435-586-5434 (Elementary)
- 435-586-7812 (Secondary)
University of Utah (UofU)
- 801-581-6064 (Elementary & ECE)
- 801-585-9436 (Secondary)
Utah State University (USU)
- 435-797-0385 (Elementary & ECE)
- 435-797-2222 (Secondary)
Utah Valley University (UVU)
- 863-8527 (Elementary & ECE)
- 863-7228 / 863-8587 (Secondary)
Weber State University
Western Governors University
To obtain a teaching license in another state when you already have a Utah teaching license:
- Contact the state office of education for the state in which you wish to teach, so that you can review licensure requirements for that state.
- You may be required to complete an Institutional Verification Form. States requiring this form will provide it.
- If an Institutional Verification Form is required, you will also need to complete a Release of Information Form and send both to the Education Advisement Center. Please be sure to complete your portion of the Institutional Verification Form before sending it and the release to the Education Advisement Center.