Before students can declare a teaching major, they need to complete and pass the BCI/FBI fingerprint background check. A background check must be completed to gain teaching licensure and part of this process involves submitting fingerprints for review by the BI and the FBI. You must be 18 or older to apply for a background check to be admitted to a teaching major.
1. Register with the Utah State Board of Education
- Go to the Utah Schools Information Management System (USIMS) webpage https://usims.schools.utah.gov:
- Login or create and account.
- Verify & complete all account set up requirements.
- Click Criminal Background Review.
- Agree to FBI Privacy Act statement.
- Agree to Utah Consent to Background Check.
- Click on link for Fingerprinting Instructions.
- Applicants who are in the state of Utah need to bring the information listed to a LiveScan site for fingerprinting (350 MCKB is recommended).
- Out-of-state applicants will follow the instructions listed.
- For questions, call 801-538-7500.
- BYU students will be billed $10 in their financial center for the fingerprint processing service after being fingerprinted.
2. Fill out Educator Application Form
- Create an EDUCATOR account at https://educator.byu.edu
- Select "Start A New Admissions Application" or "Start A New Fingerprint Application" (If applying for Fingerprints only)
- Complete the steps as instructed and submit.
3. Complete Fingerprint LiveScan
After the above steps are all completed, come to the Education Advisement Center at 350 MCKB anytime during office hours. No appointment needed.
- LiveScan authorization form or the following information (USBE only):
- Agency Code
- Type of Background
- CACTUS ID#
- Photo ID (Student ID or government-issued
- Your U S. Social Security card, picture of card, or verification of BYU employment
- BYU Student - $10 charged to financial center
- BYU Faculty/Admin/Staff - No charge
- Non-BYU - $20 payable at https://commerce.cashnet.com/webfbc
Payment can be made prior to or during your visit. Verification of payment required for fingerprinting.
Fingerprinting instructions for USBE can be found here: https://usims.schools.utah.gov/criminal-background-review/fingerprint-instructions
Please note that it takes 2-6 weeks to receive background clearance from the USBE. You need to plan your program application submission around this timeframe.
If you have an questions or issues, contact us at email@example.com or 801-422-3427.