Skip to main content

About TAs/Paraeducators

Here you will learn about teaching assistants and paraeducators in much of the English-speaking world. Information from Canada, Great Britain, Australia, and the United States includes the number of people hired to provide support for teaching and learning in the schools classrooms.

For a bit of fun, we share some of the terms (and spelling) used in various countries. For example, teaching assistants in the United Kingdom are referred in the United States by various titles such as paraeducators, paraprofessionals, aides, or technical assistants.

Roles and responsibilities assigned to learning support staff provide you with an opportunity to compare these against your assignment. How do they differ? How are they the same?

United States of America

United Kingdom



Teaching assistant

Teacher aide


LSA (learning support assistant)

School assistant

Teacher aide

NNEB (nursery nurse)

School learning support officer

Technical assistant


Education assistant



Integration aide

Instructional assistant


Special needs assistant

Title I teacher


Library aide

Bilingual teacher


Ancillary staff/officer

Instructional assistant


Aboriginal community education officer


Educational paraprofessional


Defense school transition aide/mentor


Preschool assistant


Autism support assistant


Vision support assistant


Communication support assistant


Bilingual assistant