What is an EdS Degree?

An EdS is between a master's and a doctoral degree, requiring 70 credit hours and a full-time internship during the third year in the program. It is the entry degree for the field of school psychology.

Where can I find more information on the field of school psychology?

To learn more about school psychology, visit the National Association of School Psychologists website.

What classes will I take?

Look at the Course Map here.

Where can I find more information about the practica or internship?

Learn about Field Experience here.

If I have more questions, who do I contact?

Dr. Terisa Gabrielsen, School Psychology Coordinator 
Phone: (801) 422-5055
Email: Terisa_Gabrielsen@byu.edu

Information sessions are available, as well.

Where do I find the application for the Eds School Psychology program?

The Graduate Studies application steps can be found here.

When is the application deadline?

December 15.

What is the difference between a school psychologist and a school (guidance) counselor?

The two professions have some similarities. Both work in schools with children. Both are school-based mental health professionals. However, there are differences in academic training and in the type of services each profession provides. Both school psychologists and school counselors participate in crisis intervention and mental health counseling. In regard to counseling, school psychologists' roles may overlap with the duties of school counselors and school social workers.

School psychologists: Training typically includes a three-year graduate program focused on developing expertise in several disciplines, including (a) assessment in the areas of cognitive ability, academic achievement, social-emotional status, and behavioral challenges; (b) child development; (c) student learning with an emphasis on special education; and (d) mental health issues and clinical child psychology. A teaching background, although helpful, is not required as a prerequisite to school psychology. As part of their graduate training, school psychologists are required to complete a 1,200 hour internship, which typically lasts one school year. School psychologists spend about half of their time in assessment-related activities, helping identify students' special education needs and potential intervention to address those needs. After consulting with teachers and parents regarding students' academic and behavioral challenges, school psychologists assist in identifying specific challenges, then implement and monitor the effectiveness of interventions. In some school districts, school psychologists are funded from the special education budget and primarily work with students identified with disabilities. To learn more about school psychologists, visit the National Association of School Psychologists website.

School counselors: Most school counseling programs span 12 to 18 months. A school counselor's training is less focused on psychology and more focused on preparing school counselors to meet the needs of students participating in general education. Many states require school counselors to have a teaching degree and previous teaching experience. In terms of services provided, school counselors work with the total school population regarding a variety of student issues, including academic issues, career planning and college preparation, and helping students with class scheduling. School counselors often conduct groups to help students adapt to common challenges, such as divorce of parents, social skills, and study skills. School counselors are often involved in school-wide programs, such as encouraging graduation and post high school training. School counselors often coordinate district and school testing programs (academic standards testing). To learn more about school counselors, visit the American School Counselor Association website.