When is the application deadline for applying to the Special Education program?

February 5

Can I take courses on my own schedule?

No, all courses must be taken with the assigned cohort at the scheduled time.

Can I make a course substitution?

Students may request that coursework from another university be substituted for one of their BYU requirements. To request a substitution, meet with an academic advisor in the Education Advisement Center (350 MCKB). Substitution is approved on an individual basis.

Can I work during the program? If I have a job, how long can I keep it?

Most students are able to hold a part-time job while attending classes, but students are not required to have a job while completing the program. We suggest students not work during their student teaching semester.

What unexpected costs might come up?

Students can anticipate needing to pay certain fees throughout the program, like fingerprint background clearance required for all students prior to applying to the program. Also, registration fees are required for the Foundations of Reading Assessment, Special Education PRAXIS exam, and PPAT required for graduation and referral for licensure with Utah State Board of Education.

For more information, visit the Education Advisement Center (350 MCKB).

How can I be more involved in the field as I participate in the program?

I don't have a vehicle. How can I get to all the schools?

Most students either ride the bus or join a carpool if they don't have a personal vehicle to travel to their practicum, student teaching, and/or internship sites.

What if I want to complete a minor in addition to my special education major?

For a list of recommended minors, please click here.