Preference is given to applicants who
- Have a teaching license in general education, special education, or a related service qualification (though non-teaching university degrees are considered), and/or
- Provide evidence of successful experience working with students at risk for or diagnosed with disabilities
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Students must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
The special education program requires applicants to submit scores for the GRE.
- Submit your application no later than 9:59 p.m. Mountain Time by January 15.
- Obtain an Ecclesiastical Endorsement. Agree to abide by the Honor Code and receive an Ecclesiastical Endorsement. All applicants should start the process early to obtain an endorsement. All applicants need an endorsement interview with a bishop and a stake president (or local religious leader and BYU chaplain) before your application can be fully considered. Current or continuing BYU students applying for graduate school must also obtain a new endorsement. Start this process at endorse.byu.edu.
- Submit your transcript. See instructions on the Graduate Studies website for how to upload your transcript to your application.
- Request three letters of recommendation. Request three online letters of recommendation from three professors or professionals. They should know you and be able to evaluate your potential as a graduate student at BYU. Letters are sent electronically through the application. You will need the recommenders' names and e-mail addresses.
- Submit a statement of intent. The purpose of the statement of intent is to provide information which is not included in your application or academic records and which may be useful to the admissions committee. Write a carefully constructed statement of your academic preparation and goals, indicating how graduate work fits into those goals. Statements are generally one to two pages. The statement of intent is submitted as part of the application.
- Submit a resume (optional). Applicants can choose to include a resume with the application.
Part 2. Submit GRE test scores to BYU with BYUs institution code (-4019 for GRE).
Applications are due January 15. Students are admitted every year beginning spring term. All application materials must be submitted online to the Graduate Studies office, which will forward items required by the department. Applicants may check the status of their application on AIM at any time.
Begin Graduate Studies Application